Ed Bouquet is a lifelong resident of the Washington, DC area with more than 30 years of experience as a family law attorney. Mr. Bouquet is a seasoned negotiator and litigator who has creatively and effectively sought resolutions for his clients in disputes in trial and appellate courts.
In addition to his experience as a litigator, Mr. Bouquet has 20 years of experience as a certified mediator with a proven record of helping people, with or without their attorneys, develop practical solutions for their specific circumstances. With the courts closed to the public for most matters during the COVID-19 pandemic, Mr. Bouquet provides remote mediation services to those who need assistance in their custody/access, child support, divorce, or other family law matters.
Rated 10 out of 10 on Avvo, and recognized in US News Best Lawyers, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Baltimore Magazine and SuperLawyers for Washington, DC and Maryland, Mr. Bouquet has earned his AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbel for excellence in the practice of law and for maintaining the highest standards of ethics. Throughout his extensive career, Mr. Bouquet has successfully represented clients in matters concerning:• Divorce and separation, including same-sex marriage
- Child Support
- Complex financial disputes and property division
- Valuation of businesses/professional practices
- Pre-nuptial and other marital agreements
“I counsel people who find themselves in complex situations. Life is never black and white; my practice focuses on helping clients to navigate the grey areas by mitigating personal and professional risk. My role as an attorney is to give my clients the feeling of having more control over emotionally charged and distressing situations.”
Over the years, Mr. Bouquet has lectured on many aspects of family law, including family law generally for members of the bar, drafting pre-nuptial agreements, use of experts in divorce litigation, and proving or defending claims of voluntary impoverishment in child support and alimony cases. Mr. Bouquet has also written extensively about the use of technology to accumulate information and its application in the resolution of cases, including the use of GPS tracking and mobile devices in divorce proceedings.
Licensed to practice law in Maryland and The District of Columbia, Mr. Bouquet has litigated matters in Superior Court and in courts in Montgomery, Frederick, Anne Arundel, Howard, Calvert, Charles, Washington, Garrett and Prince George’s as well as New Jersey, Massachusetts, Missouri and Oregon. He has argued appeals in the DC and Maryland’s appellate courts. This depth of practice has provided him with insight into how the courts handle a wide variety of matters and situations, which has been invaluable to him in counseling clients to make informed decisions about their cases and the most personal aspects of their lives. It is this perspective that has contributed to Mr. Bouquet’s long history of being appointed to mediate cases by DC Superior Court and Maryland Courts, as well as being retained by private parties and their attorneys looking for solutions outside of a courtroom.
Mr. Bouquet is a native of Bethesda, Maryland and a graduate of The George Washington University, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, and Emory University School of Law. Mr. Bouquet began his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable James S. McAuliffe, Jr., of the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland. Mr. Bouquet was a partner in a law firm in Washington, DC and a sole practitioner in Bethesda, Maryland, before joining Brodsky Renehan Pearlstein & Bouquet as a partner in 2010.
- George Washington University, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
- Emory University School of Law
Awards & Honors
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers 2021
- Maryland Super Lawyers 2021
- Named Best Lawyer in the 27th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America© – 2021
- Best Lawyers in The Best Lawyers in America© for work in: Family Law 2019 – 2023
- AV Preeminent Rating Martindale-Hubble – 2017
- Super Lawyer 2017 – 2022
- Best Law Firms in Maryland in U.S News &World Report – 2016, 2017
- Top Lawyers in Baltimore Magazine – 2016, 2017
- Named to Maryland & Washington, D.C. SuperLawyers for – 2015, 2016, & 2017
- Named as One of Baltimore and Washington D.C.’s Best Attorneys by Legal Leaders Magazine in – 2015
- Top Rated Lawyers in The Wall Street Journal – 2015
- Named to Washington, D.C.’s and Baltimore’s Top Lawyers – 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell