Heather R. Sweren joined the firm as an Associate in 2006 and was promoted to Partner in 2015. She is licensed to practice law in Maryland. Ms. Sweren received her Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Maryland, College Park, in 2001 and her Juris Doctorate from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 2005.
Ms. Sweren is actively involved in several Maryland Bar Association committees and organizations. Some of her proudest work is as a liaison to the Montgomery County Bar Association, Family Law Section for the Women’s Commission of Montgomery County. In this role, she helps coordinate the Commission’s efforts to educate women on the divorce and family law process. Ms. Sweren is also a co-chair for the Montgomery County Bar Association Judicial Selections Committee, Treasurer for the Montgomery County Inns of Court, and a member of the Peer Review Committee for the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland.
In addition to other speaking engagements and publications, Ms. Sweren assists annually in the preparation of The Family Law Update, which summarizes new legislation and reported case law in the previous 18 months. She presents these materials for both the Maryland State Bar Association and Montgomery County Bar Association each year.
Ms. Sweren represents adults in divorce & custody matters, as well as children. She is also a certified mediator, mediating by court appointment and privately, and is often appointed by the court as a trustee to sell property. Prior to her employment with the firm, Ms. Sweren interned with the Honorable Gary Everngam in the District Court for Montgomery County, Maryland, and the Honorable John W. Debelius, III, in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland. She then clerked with the Honorable William J. Rowan, III, in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Juris Doctorate, University of Baltimore – 2005
- Bachelor of Science, University of Maryland, College Park – 2001
- Montgomery County Inns of Court Treasurer 2022 – Present
- Member of the Maryland Bar Association
- Member of the Montgomery County Bar Association
- Rebranding Committee 2021
- Ethics Committee 2019 – Present; Co-Chair 2022 – Present
- Judicial Selections Committee 2019 – Present; Co-Chair 2021 – Present
- Family Law Section Co-Chair 2016 – 2018
- Liaison to Montgomery County Commission for Women 2013 – Present
- Member of the Women’s Bar Association
- Member of the Peer Review Committee for the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland 2013 – Present
- Certified as Best Interest Attorney for Minors
- Certified Mediator
- Quarterly contributor to Kentlands & Lakelands Living Magazine
- Her Legal Global Blog – Success in Law – 2020
- The Daily Record – Maryland Family Law – 2020
- Developments in Maryland Family Law – 2016
- Developments in Maryland Family Law – 2015
Awards & Honors
- Maryland Super Lawyers 2020 – Present
- Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star 2012 – 2019
- AVVO Rated Top Lawyer
- Presenter with Ethics Committee Law Day Program 2020 & 2021
- Present annually for Seminar on Separation and Divorce for Montgomery County Commission for Women
- Present annually for Family Law Update for the Maryland State Bar Association and Montgomery County Bar Association
- Former speaker for New Beginnings Divorce 101 program